College sports is a multi-billion-dollar industry that continues to change and evolve. Student-athletes are now able to take advantage of lucrative endorsement opportunities and earn a considerable income from their Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) before they even graduate from college. However, there are a wide range of rules and regulations that must be followed in order to remain compliant with all NCAA and NIL laws. In addition, when complications arise, coaches and athletic departments often focus on what is best for the program rather than acting in the best interest of the student-athlete. The highly skilled NIL Attorneys at Lyons & Associates, P.C. advocate for student-athletes and their families, ensure that their NIL deals are in compliance with all NCAA regulations, and help them navigate this complex legal landscape.
Despite the financial opportunities that are now available to elite student-athletes, once they have been recruited by a college or university, these young men and women often find that they do not have the support they need to navigate complex issues that could impact their eligibility, financial aid, scholarships and their professional career as an athlete. In addition, they are often treated unfairly when disciplinary or administration situations arise. If a scholarship is jeopardized due to the mishandling of a compliance issue, the dream of playing a college sport and achieving financial security could be lost. Unfortunately, when a student-athlete is left on his or her own to try to figure out these complex matters while also focusing on his or her athletic responsibilities and maintaining the required grade point average, they often feel alone and abandoned during one of the most pivotal moments of his or her life. The NIL Attorneys at Lyons & Associates, P.C. are committed to advocating for the interests of student athletes from recruitment to graduation.
NCAA and NIL Compliance and Advocacy Services
The NIL Attorneys at Lyons & Associates, P.C. handle a wide range of compliance and advocacy-related issues, including the following:
- Representing student-athletes in connection with academic eligibility issues
- Advocating for student-athletes who are facing wrongful or contested team/school/conference/NCAA suspensions or cancellations
- Assisting student-athletes with filing waivers, hardship petitions and other administration appeals
- Representing student-athletes whose scholarship has been improperly reduced or canceled
- Protecting the legal rights of student-athletes and their families who are involved in a full-scale disciplinary investigation run by the NCAA
- Advocating for student athletes who have been the victim of inappropriate behavior, abuse or other ethical conduct issues from a coach or coaches
- Providing legal counsel to student-athletes and their families regarding NIL concerns
- Working with the college or university’s compliance office to ensure that the student-athlete remains eligible, or returns to the field as quickly as possible after an injury or other issues
- Providing legal counsel regarding issues that may arise throughout the student-athletes college career
- Representing student-athletes in cases involving disputed drug testing results conducted by the educational institution, the conference or the NCAA
- Representing student-athlete in institutional NCAA enforcement proceedings
The NIL Attorneys at Lyons & Associates, P.C. Advocate for Student-Athletes and Their Families
If you or a family member has been recruited by a college or university to play college sports, it is highly recommended that you contact the NIL Attorneys at Lyons & Associates, P.C. Our dedicated legal team will advocate for you and your family, and will tirelessly fight to protect your rights throughout your entire career as a college athlete. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at 908-575-9777 or contact us online. Our offices are in Morristown, Somerville and Freehold, New Jersey, and we proudly service clients across the entire United States through partnerships with co-counsel in other jurisdictions.